Monday 30 May 2016

Trust Your Journey



Does your heart ache with the need to do something? Maybe you want to write, paint, travel, care for the sick, or move house. You want to follow what your heart is telling you but maybe the daily grind gets in the way. Maybe you're scared or stuck in a rut or don't know where to start.

Take a deep breath and start from the beginning. Make a list of what you'd really love to do with your life. Want to live on an island? Put it on there. Want to buy your own house? Put it on there. Write down everything that you want to do, look it over and decide which ones you can feasibly achieve in the here and now.

Perhaps one of your dreams is to write a novel. Do you have an idea for a story? If so, make a little time in your life to start working on it, even if it's only five or ten minutes every other day. Go to bed a little earlier and lie in bed with a notebook. Set the TV to record that show you want to watch. Put the cleaning off for another off. Turn your phone off. Every little thing you do to free up time to do what you want to do is a step in the right direction. You may not see the results straight away but you're getting there, one step at a time.

Doing something new is about commitment and being true to yourself. For a long time, I wrote nothing but fiction and I loved every moment of it. Over the past year, that desire has waned and been replaced with the need to write non-fiction. I still dabble in working on my novels but the drive to finish anything has dwindled. The last thing I completed was the novel/screenplay combo “Dance in the Rain” back in 2014.

To prepare for a new phase in my life, I knew that I needed to change some of my skills. So I started brushing up on my research skills. I also started running interviews on this website. Whenever I was offered a guest blog or the chance to speak somewhere, I took it. I asked myself, “Can I sit and listen and give someone my entire focus for the length of an interview?”. For me, that can be extremely difficult so it's something I've been practising with family, friends, and work colleagues. Now I'm hopefully putting the final pieces of the puzzle together in order to start this brand new chapter.



Changing your life doesn't happen overnight but it can be done. You have to be true to yourself. If that yearning for something new is living in you, take time to think about what you want to do and how you can get there. It might not happen today. It might not happen next month. But you can do it. You can do whatever you put your mind to.

May your week be wonderful!

Rae :)

No comments:

Post a Comment