Wednesday 8 May 2013

For The Love Of Music

One of the things I seem to write a lot about is the power of music, of how it can draw so many emotions from us on so many levels.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend played me this song. I'd never heard it before, despite having parents who are fans of the Beatles. A quick search of Google turns up that the song was never released as a single and became part of the White Album.


The song moved me so much that, a week later, I had this done.





Isn't it crazy how chords and words can push us to the edge and pull us back again? Isn't it crazy how something, by someone we've never met, can speak to us on so many levels?

Those few words spoke to something deep inside of me. Reminded me of the person I once was, the person I am now, and the person I'm going to be. They reminded me, much like the one on my back, that things can change, and for the better.

Some people say that they don't enjoy music, that they don't "get it". Coming from a family where there's been nothing but music, those statements are confusing, especially once you realise that the human body was designed to react to certain strings of notes. How amazing is that?! You were built to be in love with music. You were built to dance and sing and love and create. You were built to carry on what so many others before you have already done.

The same friend sent me this song. Every time I hear it, it makes me cry. I won't be getting it tattooed any time soon, but, like so many other songs, it will be one which stays with me forever.


1 comment:

  1. Music is healing, inspiring, soothing, entrancing, calming, energizing, uplifting... I could go on and on! I agree that people who don't "get" music, or aren't into it, are hard to understand. When I was working for a record label in Nashville, the owner once said to me, "Music isn't for listening to, it's for making money." That comment floored me, especially since I was writing and playing music at the time, not for money, but for the love of it! This was the owner/CEO of a famous record label whose songs had touched millions of people!

    Anyway... I am familiar with Blackbird - S has a huge Beatles collection on CDs ;)

    ReplyDelete