Tuesday 30 October 2012

Free!

You don't drink? Life must be boring for you.”

I've lost count of how many times I've heard that.

First, and foremost, alcohol isn't a prerequisite to a good time.

Oh, I know it is for some people. For some people, a good time is going out and drinking. But, for a lot of people, a night out, or a day out, doesn't have to involve alcohol.

Some people have never drunk, and probably never will. Some people may have tried alcohol and didn't like the taste. Some people may have drunk at one point but have grown out of it. And some people, like myself, may have drunk ourselves into oblivion so many times that it winds up becoming a hazard to our health.

A while back, I wrote about my addictions.

But I've never really written about what it's like post-addiction.

Yes, I still drink but it's mostly a glass of wine once in a while. I now know my limits. I know when to say no. I know what triggers me to go on a drink and drugs binge. I know how many drinks I can have before I'm going down that slippery slope again. Mostly though, I don't touch alcohol.

However, there are those who, once they've acknowledged their addiction, choose never to drink again. A good example is Izzy Stradlin (former GNR) who, when he cleaned up, gave up everything from heroin and alcohol through to coffee and painkillers. Along with David Ellefson (Megadeth), Izzy was one of the influences for me to clean up and stay clean.

And you know, we're not boring because we don't drink. Nor do we think we're better than anyone else because of our lifestyle choices. We've just realised what works for us. If you come across someone who doesn't drink, or doesn't do drugs, don't call them “boring”. Politely ask them why and perhaps they'll tell you a story. ;)

And while I'm here, here's the lyrics to the song I've been banging on about for weeks!


If you're scared then walk away, cause there's no need to feel ashamed,
Yeah we all feel the same.
I fell in love with rock and roll until I found out it was false,
And plastered on a face for me.

Woah, where's you passion, where's your fire tonight,
Woah, I can't believe there's nothing you're willing to hide,
Woah, I want to believe,
I set my body on fire so I could be free.

So I could be free, yeah.
So I could be free,
So I could be free, yeah.

And don't be told it can't be done, because the best all die young,
Yeah we all feel the same.
And if there's nothing left to say, just have the guts to disagree,
Or plaster on a face for me.

Woah, where's you passion, where's your fire tonight,
Woah, I can't believe there's nothing you're willing to hide,
Woah, I want to believe,
I set my body on fire so I could be free.

So I could be free, yeah.
So I could be free,
So I could be free, yeah.

Free,
Free.

Free,
So I could be free, yeah.
So I could be free,
So I could be free, yeah.


6 comments:

  1. Fantastic message, Rae. Keep up the good work and the great writing! Wiz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear Wiz! And thank you for all your hard work. :) We really do appreciate it. :) xxx

      Delete
  2. You are right - alcohol doesn't ensure a good time, and not having alcohol doesn't mean you're boring or that you won't have a good time. I've never liked the taste of alcohol, but I do like that it has the power to relax me sometimes. My partner is an alcoholic who stopped drinking 23 years ago when he realized that to keep drinking meant not living much longer. He hasn't had a single drop of alcohol since then and he is definitely not boring! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic to hear! You guys never fail to keep me going. :) You're definitely not boring in the slightest!!

      Delete
  3. Admirable honesty, Rae ... the first major step is admitting the problem ...coming to terms with it. Once you've realised that, the pain in pulling away from your demon is less ... your honesty is encouraging ... hugs and admiration for you :) n x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, N. :) They're very much appreciated. :) I always say that if our words can help just one person, then our job is done. Thank you for your love and support; it's always appreciated. :) xxx

      Delete