Saturday 31 December 2011

I Do Not Regret The Things I've Done, But Those I Did Not Do

Well, this is it! The final hours of 2011. And what a year it's been!

As 2010 rolled over to 2011, I was feeling fairly hopeless. It's something I go through on a regular basis, especially at this time of the year. I'm more of a Christmas person than a New Year person. I'm one of those people who's quite happy to crawl into bed at 11pm, put my headphones on and ignore the noise outside.

But 2011 was the year I decided to do something. It was time to put on the big boots, take life by the horns and grab every opportunity that came by. And I'm glad I did! In the past 12 months I've made new friends, met old ones, taken part in a variety of creative events and the first book in the Veetu Industries series will be hitting bookshelves and e-readers in January. In the words of my brothers, it's been an epic year! And 2012 promises to be even more crazy.

I'm looking forward to seeing friends again, both old and new, taking trips and doing all the work that goes with chasing dreams. Chasing your dreams isn't hard. You just have to have the determination to do it. You have to know what you want, say "That's it", put on the s**tkicker boots and go for it. Seriously, there's nothing stopping you! If you want to to do it you can do it. Don't listen to the naysayers. Lay down your plans and just go for it! Because what have you got to lose, right?

There's fear in doing what you want to do and it takes time to conquer those fears. I'm one of those people who, when they get into a routine, they're comfy there. I'll stay there, in my little nest, and ride along with it. I don't like change. It freaks me out. But I realised that I needed to do something with my life, that I couldn't spend the rest of it feeling unfulfilled. Mostly, I'm scared of hitting a certain age and having the "What if's" flying round my head. What if I'd just sat here, waiting for this film to take off?" "What if I'd sent those books out?" "What if I'd stopped being scared of what people would think about me?" I never want to get to that point in my life. As the quote goes, "I do not regret the things I've done, just those I did not do." I don't want to spend my life regretting all the things I could have done.

One of the things that irks me is a film I started on in early 2010. It was a great project and the person involved is probably the sweetest person on the face of the planet. 6 weeks after we began thrashing things out, the brakes were slammed on and have been on ever since. It's been a frustrating couple of years, waiting and hoping. But I believe that things happen for a reason. I believe that doors open and close as we need them. We can't force these doors open. I honestly believe that this film will be picked up again in some form or another. I honestly believe that the door shut on it (for now) so that I could focus on other things, so that I could get the books out there. Now that that's happened I believe that other doors will begin opening again.

It can happen for anyone. You your life what you do. Want to do something? Go for it! Don't spend too much time thinking "What if..". Do it. Don't live to regret the things you haven't done. It's your life, live it!

Happy 2012 everyone! May your New Year be filled with love, life, prosperity and every one of your dreams being fulfilled. Be happy and love life!

No comments:

Post a Comment